Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fire and smoke

Today the Fab Five experienced something that they won't soon forget. This afternoon we decided to go for a walk. We headed out the front door where we were greeted with the strong smell of smoke. Gabby immediately started asking what the smell was and where it was coming from. We walked out from under the porch and when we looked up, there was thick smoke above our heads. As I looked around I notice people moving about with a sense of urgency. I became somewhat anxious.

Brett went to investigate as people drove by me, stopping to ask what was happening. I had no idea. Something was on fire and it was close but I didn't know what and I didn't know where. Being a single mom, I got scared. I knew my kids were counting on me.

It was not long before Brett returned and said that the golf course behind out home was on fire. At this point I heard people saying get what you have to have and any pets and get out. I then got scared. Suddenly there were firetrucks everywhere.

Our home is on the golf course. The fire was in our backyard. It was 30 to 50 feet from our back door. Thick smoke was everywhere. Gabby was screaming while the middle three cried at the thoughts of losing what we had. I felt helpless. I was trying to keep them calm while telling them to get the pets and their special things without my voice being shaky. We have been through so much already. These kids could NOT lose another home along with what stuff we had left.

We all went into my bedroom where we were able to sit on my bed and watch as the firefighters went to work. We were told to hang tight a while longer. We watched as they drug their water hoses and neighborhood men grabbed fire extinguishers, working together to put out the flames. It was a long couple of hours but they contained the fire and saved the day.

At dinner we thanked God for His protection and talked about how scared we all felt. It was another experience that brought us closer. It made me feel good to know that this is their home and that it is where they want to be. God protected my kids today in more ways than one.

All pictures were taken from bedroom window.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews