Saturday, July 30, 2011

Don'ts for Husbands ~1913~

Borders is going out of business.  For me that brings about feelings of sadness.  One of my favorite things to do is spend a few hours in my favorite book store, searching through the shelves of books, and finding something special.


Last night as I was leaving a Borders, I found this tiny little hardback book titled: Don'ts for Husbands.  I was intrigued.  I was not necessarily intrigued by the title but instead the date, 1913, that was stamped on the front. I opened the little book to find that it was originally published back in 1913 in London. This more recent copy that I was holding was published back in 2007.  The author of this little book was Blanche Ebbutt.


As I read the Preface I was immediately drawn in by her charm and wit.  I love history.  I love any opportunity I have to sit down with those who have lived much longer than me and hear their stories.  That is what I heard coming from the pages of this book that was written almost one hundred years ago.  


As I explore the pages of this treasure, I want to share the many snippets of entertaining advice that still ring true ten decades later as well as think of them in terms of the way we live today.


I have discovered that there is a companion book as well that she wrote for wives which I will now search out to find.  Wish me luck! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews