Friday, October 1, 2010

Earnest — Is this what you are when you earn the most?


I have put myself on a budget. Because of great technology, between my laptop and phone, my budget is never more than a click away. For me it is quite helpful to visualize where my money is going. Pie charts are excellent!! Imagine my surprise when the program that I used split up my spending and I saw where my money was going. Quite interesting but very helpful. I was able to put limits on how much I want to spend every month, how much I want to save and how much I want to invest. I am so crazy excited. I love stuff like this because it presents itself as a challenge and I LOVE a good challenge. Today starts my first official day on my budget. My hope is to share with you my successes and my failures. These are my goals for the first month.


  • Set aside $100 in savings

  • Keep fuel costs under $75

  • Keep grocery costs under $600

  • Keep entertainment (movies with the kids, trips to the museum, etc) under $100

  • To add something to my CD (only a $1 in there at the moment)

  • To add something to my high yield savings account (only a $1 in there at the moment)

  • To start teaching my kids how to budget by paying them an allowance

  • To tithe this month




Now it is possible that I have set a goal that may be hard to achieve but that is part of the challenge. I am determined to start saving money and determined to take advantage of the great ways to save money. Who knew?!?! I never understood that whole CD and high yield savings account stuff until now. Why wouldn't everyone have those things? Totally worth checking out. I will include some websites for you to check out yourself that might just help you on your quest to make, save or spend money.



Sallie Mae High Yield Savings

American Express High Yield Savings

Discover High Yield Savings

Sallie Mae CD

Ally CD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews