Saturday, August 27, 2011

Bus or not to bus

I participate in car pool with all five of my children.  I spend about an hour every day sitting in car pool either waiting to drop off or pick up.  No one rides the bus.  


Before we moved, my elementary aged children rode the bus home every afternoon. It was convenient.  Once we moved they were nervous about riding a new bus and so I agreed for the time being to pick them up from school.  It stuck.


Let me explain why.  Sitting in car pool is not my most favorite thing in the world.  It is stop and go for about fifteen minutes or longer.  People in car pool ahead of you can be annoying.  The crossing guard not letting anyone move can be annoying but then the moment arrives.  It is my turn to pick up my kids.  


The smile spreads across my face and the talking begins.  Regardless of age or grade they begin chattering away.  I get to hear about their day whether good or bad.  I get a little insight into just what their day is like and who their friends are and it makes every moment of those minutes waiting in carpool worth it.


Yes it would be convenient for them to ride the bus.  Yes it would save some gas. Someday though I will look back on our moments together in the car and be thankful I sacrificed that gas and my time for the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews