Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Magic of the right kind of Fashion

I LOVED entering back into the working world this past year.  I LOVE my job!  I LOVE the people I work with every day!  I LOVE the confidence it has given me!  
My job may not be the most impressive but it is a blessing and a gift from God.  When there are so many without jobs, it is by far an answer to prayer when a woman has been a mom for fourteen years and is hired on the spot, given the opportunity to work. I am thankful!
Not only am I thankful for the job but am BEYOND thankful for the things being learned.  Today I share with you the secrets I've learned from my small amount of time on the sales floor.


  1. People are persnickety! People go to a great deal of trouble to find the perfect fragrance.  I have literally spent an hour with a customer testing every fragrance in the store only to have them walk out purchasing the same fragrance they walked in wearing.
  2. Be careful where you purchase your fragrances!  If you are buying it in a cheap in a discount store, chances are it's old and about to expire.  Yes fragrances DO have a shelf life and are removed from high end stores after they have been sitting too long.  This means your local discount stores are getting those left overs and selling them at a lower price.  
  3. Many women need to be taught how to apply make-up and what colors look best.  Blue eye shadow does NOT look good on everybody!  Red lipstick cannot be wore by everyone! Blush should not appear as stripes on our cheeks! If you're unsure, visit your local cosmetic counter or call up your local Mary Kay Representative and allow them to teach you the correct application of your cosmetics.
  4. Good skin care DOES work!  No one believes I am 36.  I pretty much get that I don't look more than 25 every time I work at the cosmetic counter.  Ladies are always asking what products I use and want those products. The secret to good skin care is not a creme or lotion but instead a tool.  It is called the Clarisonic Mia and it is AMAZING!! (can be found on QVC for an excellent price) It works and though it is pricey, it decreases your need for foundation, moisturizer, and all the other crap we apply to our faces to appear younger saving money in the long run.
  5. Women who could be grandmothers or who are should NOT be wearing leggings much less riding boots.  This was pointed out to me by my soon to be fourteen year old. I get we all want to feel younger but seriously ladies, let's wear things that are age appropriate.  It's not classy at all!
  6. The handbag we carry is essential to our outfit and speaks volumes to our fashion sense and style.  Picking out a handbag is not always about comfort or practicality.  Our handbag makes a huge statement in regards to our understanding of the latest trends and styles.  Your handbag does NOT have to match your shoes.  That's old school!  Mix it up!  Carry something colorful, metallic or bold!   Something that grabs the attention of others and screams your confident!
  7. Jewelry is an accessory.  Yes there are pricey pieces we own and are proud to wear but every fashionista should own some bold fashion pieces to add fun to any outfit.  Big chunky necklaces or bracelets and large rings are always fun and dress up any dingy outfit.
  8. Black IS the essential color to have in your wardrobe. Anyone who knows me knows that I have always worn a lot of black.  Something about wearing black made me feel more confident.  This makes Macy's by dream job because our dress code is all black.  LOVE it!  What I've learned is that you wear black and spice it up by just adding some color.  Scarves are amazing!  They come in a variety of styles, colors and textures and add flair to a black top.  You can dress up a plain old black t-shirt by simply throwing a great scarf over your shoulders.  
  9. Every woman wants to feel beautiful! I always find something to compliment a female customer about when I'm helping them.  Being a woman who has/had seriously low self-esteem, I know what a small compliment can do.  Every woman is beautiful in their own way.  You just have to help them find it.   It took me a long time to find something about myself that I liked or thought was beautiful but the shopping public has helped me in that way.  Just a small compliment makes my day so I've learned to pay it forward and help other women feel good about themselves.  
  10. I can stand in heels for eight hours while working!  This is HUGE for me!  I hate heels.  Yes my feet hurt at the end of the day but by wearing them, my posture is better and my confidence greater! 
I'm sure I could come  up with even more tidbits but ten points work well and leaves the opportunity for another post at another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews