Friday, November 12, 2010

Five guys and some fries....

Yesterday I had a shop to do at a Five Guys in Raleigh. This has quickly become one of my favorite shops because I LOVE their hamburgers and I usually sign up for as many as I can get each month. Typically these shops have taken place on the weekend but this month I have two that fall during the week. Normally this would not be a problem but I was scheduled to do a shop yesterday and because of the holiday, the kids were home from school. This left me in a bit of a dilemma because it is a little hard to conduct a shop with five kids so a couple were left behind.

My two older boys have been to Five Guys with me before and the 3 year old could have cared less so I went on a special date with my 9 and 7 year old for their first taste ever of 5 Guys. Needless to say these two were quite excited even though they had no clue what Five Guys would have to offer. All they knew was that mommy would go on and on about how much she wanted a Five Guys cheeseburger and today would be the day they would get to experience that delightful heart attack waiting to happen.

The ride took approximately fifteen minutes and that entire ride was filled with questions from the seven year old. Do they have french fries? DO they have hot dogs? What kind of dessert do they have? Is it a big place or a little place? DO they have a drive thru? What do we have to look for on the shop? Can I be the one to check the bathrooms? This went on for the entire drive but it was totally worth it because he keeps me laughing.

Once we finally arrived and placed our order, the 9 year old ordered a tasty hamburger with her favorite toppings; lettuce, onions, ketchup and mayo. The 7 year old decided on a delicious hot dog because those "are his favorite". I then ordered my cheeseburger as well as a large fry. I did not order fries for the other two which led to some complaining but I told them we would share. Now if you have never been to Five Guys, let me explain that an order of fries could feed a small army. With that being said, we sat down and patiently waited for our number to be called. The anticipation was killing them both. They could not sit still. They went back and forth from the table to the condiment counter getting napkins, ketchup and lemon slices for mom. Finally the moment arrived and number 23 was called. My 9 year old jumped to her feet and went to retrieve the brown paper bag. Once to the table she began to empty the contents. Her eyes grew large as she looked into the bag and saw all those french fries. She was amazed.

From there we enjoyed our meal. Every last bite. Plus before leaving, the seven year old decided he was still hungry and wanted to try a cheeseburger. He did but was far more impressed by the hot dog which I found amusing.

I count myself to be quite fortunate. I have been doing shops for about three months now and the rewards are excellent. It is by no means making us rich but it is allowing me special time with my kids and allowing them to do and experience things that they wouldn't otherwise get to do. A certain someone told me a couple of weeks ago that I needed to get off my lazy butt and get a real job. The more I thought about it the more I realized that it came from a place of jealousy. How many people get to take their kids to work, spend special time with them doing fun things and get paid to do it? I spend on average about 20 hours a week doing what I do on top of taking care of five kids on my own. Sometimes life gets crazy but I count it such a blessing that God opened this door for me and allowed me this privilege to be a mom and have a way to make money so that I can spend time with my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews